Sunday, January 25, 2009

Northern Ireland











For the last two weeks in Europe my Trevor and I vacationed in Northern Ireland. I really didn't have high expectations because I had already been to Dublin but Trevor wanted to go so I followed along. We arrived in to Belfast which was much smaller than anticipated. We stayed in a horrible hostel. It was dirt cheap and looked like a 1970s throw back,  I wish I had taken pictures. But after we got settled it was actually a pretty nice city. I don't think I would go back but parts were very beautiful. We went up to Belfast Castle and it had a spectacular view of the city. A wedding was going on during the time we were there so we could not go in. But we met the cutest old man who had lived there all his life and walked up there everyday. It was funny we both were so out of breath after walking a long way up and he breezed right past us at eighty years old. 

We only spent one night there and traveled up to Ballycastle by bus except we took the long way and traveled down the coast. It was the best experience we met so many old timers who told us the in's and outs. We must have gone on the off season because for the whole time it seemed as though we were the only tourists. 

So I have a list of suggestions if you ever decide to go there on a college budget: 
1. Travel along the coast when taking the bus the long way is so beautiful 
2. Stay at Silvercliffs in Ballycastle - we rented an apartment for about 300 dollars for around a week maybe longer. It had two bedrooms and a kitchen and living room. Ballycastle is right in the center of everything you want to see in norther ireland. They also have an indoor pool with a water slide. 
3. Eat ice cream
4. Visit the Giants Causeway, Bushmills Whiskey Distilary, Carrick Rope Bridge - and you can buy a pass which will take you to a whole bunch of those places 
5. Rathlin Island - is an island that has I think under one hundred people living on it. It was so beautiful we took a ferry out and then biked the entire island which is about 12 miles. If you are not looking for a work out take the bus. But it was nice to stop and take pictures. 

oh I wish I could go back!! 

2 comments:

  1. You looked like you had a lot of fun! I love the biking idea. I am a huge biker and I would love to travel the world and bike and sight see every where I went. What were some of the favorite foods you tried while traveling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh there were so many! but I think the best part was the irish breakfast. The food wasn't as terrible as everyone said it would be but I did get sick of eating sausage. everything was sausage!

    ReplyDelete